Controlling the size of mailboxes and quotas is very important to control the total size of mailbox store.
Note: Quotas are not enforced for messages left by outside callers if the “Full Mailbox Check for Outside Caller Messages” check box is not checked. This check box appears on the Message Storage > Mailbox Quotas page.
The default quota upon CUC installation is:
- Move new messages to the Saved Items folder after a specified number of days.
- Move read messages to the Deleted Items folder after a specified number of days.
- Permanently delete messages in the Deleted Items folder after a specified number of days.
- Based on the age of the messages, permanently delete secure messages that have been touched in any way (for example by saving, deleting, or opening but then saving messages as new).
- Based on the age of the messages, permanently delete all secure messages regardless of whether users have listened to or touched the messages in any way.
Note: Quotas are applied for voicemails read using TUI and saved in inbox. For voicemails read using View Mail or Web Inbox, the quotas aren't applied. Therefore, aging policies are needed to clear outdated messages. To access voicemail using Web Inbox navigate to https://
Alerts can be configured part of again policy to notify users before CUC age out the messages. Alerts cannot be sent to users unless the Corporate Email Address field for each user on the Users > Users > Edit User Basics page contains a valid email address. Unity Connection must also be configured to relay messages through an SMTP smart host.
To add new aging policy:
- In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, expand Message Storage , then expand Message Aging , then select Aging Policies. Select Add New .
- Enter a name for the new policy, and select Save .
- Check the Enabled check box and configure the appropriate settings
The Message Recording Expiration feature guarantees that a voice message that is stored on the Unity Connection server cannot be listened to after it reaches a set expiration date, regardless of whether the message has been forwarded to another Unity Connection recipient. Message Recording Expiration is a systemwide setting, and thus cannot be applied only to a subset of users.
At expiration, message recordings are automatically replaced with a decoy recording that says, “The message has expired.”